The Internal Outreach Coordinator establishes relationships with various student-run organizations on campus as well as administration. Part of SASSL’s mission is to build awareness about issues of sexual violence on campus. SASSL works passionately to create a positive space, organizing various fun and educational activities both on and off campus. In the past, SASSL has been present at OTL (Orient The Leaders) training for frosh leaders where SASSL provided guidelines to frosh leaders and college councils on how they should deal with sexual assault and/or harassment if they should occur during the week. SASSL has also been present at Winter’s college-specific Frosh Boss training and SASSL has given presentations to Bethune, McLaughlin, and New College during frosh week.
During the school year, SASSL’s Internal Outreach team reaches out at various campus events and residences, some of which included Don Training, Safety Awareness Day, Sociology Student Group Conference, as well as Pond, Vanier, and Bethune residence presentations. SASSL also regularly collaborates with various student groups and administrations such as the York Federation of Students, TBLGAY, Centre for Human Rights, Student Community Leadership and Development, and various college councils.
If you would like to work with SASSL outreach event on the York campus, whether in residence, at a conference, or event, please send an email to our general email and direct it to the Internal Outreach Coordinator:
We are committed to making our services accessible to community members and aim to do so by continuously fostering and establishing relationships with on-campus and external organizations.
We do this work through:
- Creation of workshop toolkits– These workshop toolkits includes group activities, discussion prompts, updated concepts (anti-oppression, feminist, survivor-centric, consent, healthy sexuality, accommodations). In the past, SASSL was able to plan and give presentations to a number of high schools in the Toronto District School Board.
- Networking and outreach- Connecting with potential organizations such as elementary schools, community hubs, on-campus community service groups to offer workshops related to sexual violence
- Establishing a cohesive approach to education, awareness, and prevention workshops, discussion groups, and workshops related to sexual violence- Connecting with community artists and practitioners to assist in delivery of on-campus workshops.
- Working with volunteers to develop workshops– Encouraging volunteers to use their skill sets to help with promotion, organizing, networking, and facilitation of workshops
We would like to thank the following schools/organizations for supporting the SASSL Outreach Program throughout the years:
- R.H. King Academy
- Central Technical Collegiate Institute
- Redwood Community Fair
- West End Alternative Secondary School
- BELOVED Conference
- Humberside Collegiate Institute
- Woodbridge College
- (H.E.Y.Y) Hearing Every Youth through Youth
If you would like to schedule a SASSL outreach event in the community please email:
External Outreach Coordinator
Community Initiatives & Policy Development
SASSL demonstrates leadership and commitment to survivors and the community by providing support and raising awareness about sexual assault and gender based violence. We attend regular internal and external university meetings related to sexual and gender violence prevention and response, research policies related to sexual violence and making recommendations to the university regarding further policy development, and network with other organizations and universities to further develop and improve policies and services related to sexual violence across Ontario campuses. SASSL is actively involved in the community and is represented on various committees including:
- Can I Kiss You? Planning Committee
- Community Safety Council (CSC)
- CSC Student Representatives Group
- Gender Based Violence Prevention Group
- Safety Campaign Working Group
- • Safety Audit Standing Committee
- Safety Awareness Day Group
- Sexual Assault Initiatives Committee
- Women and Trans Safety Committee
If you would like to get in contact with SASSL regarding community initiatives & policy development, please email:
Policy & Initiatives Coordinator